Thursday, April 17, 2014

More Circle Maxi Skirts

My half circle leopard print maxi skirt from Jungle January is in heavy rotation these days.  Despite not being a leopard print kind of gal.  I get a ton of compliments every time I wear it.  I think it has something to do with all that swish when I walk.  It really does have a satisfying swish.  Anyway, I decided I needed another half circle maxi in my life.   In plain old boring black.
 

  It's impossible for me to twirl and make a normal face at the same time.  Again, I used this post from By Hand London to make my pattern.  Out of all the circle skirt formula posts out there, this one made the most sense.  I used a rayon knit I found at Joann's.  It seems to be pretty decent quality and really soft.  I was a little worried that it was a tad see through.  There is nothing worse than seeing through a skirt when the light hits it.  So I sewed a separate short tube skirt and attached it at the waist.  It took a little bit of engineering but I am super happy with how it turned out.  I don't have to worry about any issues with the fabric being see through or too thin.  No VPL.  I used the same wide elastic for the waistband as before out of laziness.


After making the black version, I decided I wanted to try a quarter circle maxi as well.  Making the pattern took longer than sewing the skirt.  It was a really quick project.  I used another rayon knit I found at Joann's with a funky print.  I did have to cut the skirt in two panels, so I was careful to keep the print straight at the front and back when cutting it out.  I used the same wide elastic for the waist but this time I covered it.  I am much happier with this waistband than the plain elastic.  It looks much more finished to me.


And guess who got a pair of leggings with the leftover fabric?  This sweet girl.  I used this legging pattern again- same one I used for my crawling baby pants.  It was another super quick and easy sewing project.  And a great way to use up leftover scraps.  I may be addicted to making baby leggings.


There was a bit of tickling going on in these photos.  She's ONE by the way.  As of this past Monday.  I can't believe it.  We are having a party this weekend so I've been spending my spring break getting ready.  I hope everyone has a happy Easter!

25 comments:

  1. Great skirts and adorable baby!! Happy birthday to baby Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you two look adorable in your matching outfits! love your new skirts (and they made me dream of summer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These skirts look so comfy - I would totally live in them. Love both of them. Initially I was rotting for the colourful one (because I'm a sucker for bright colours!) but really, the black one will be so versatile for you.
    And a massive Happy Birthday for Miss Jane!!!!! Have a wonderful party :)
    Oh, and her matching leggings are so adorable

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, LOVE the skirts! And that pic on the right of the bottom 3, LOVE, LOVE this picture! Both you and baby girl are looking forward with a smile--precious! Frame it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab skirts! I love a jersey maxi skirt for Spring/Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, world: thanks to Liza Jane I am now convinced I should try a maxi. I always thought I would look short and frumpy, but yours are so fun. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love mama-daughter matching!! Those last three pictures are too cute! Happy birthday, baby Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hello one year old!!

    i surprised myself by instantly wanting a black maxi skirt, and then of course the OHMYGODSKIRTOFALLTHEIKATCOLORSWITHCAMOFLAGEDBEBE

    why you gotta do that to me so early in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had something nice to say about your skirts, but then OMG CUTE BABY! That's happened on your blog before, I think. Anyway, back to the skirts, I love them! The black one especially will be such a great staple.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had something nice to say about your skirts, but then OMG CUTE BABY! That's happened on your blog before, I think. Anyway, back to the skirts, I love them! The black one especially will be such a great staple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had something nice to say about your skirts, but then OMG CUTE BABY! That's happened on your blog before, I think. Anyway, back to the skirts, I love them! The black one especially will be such a great staple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Camouflage baby!!!!! ACK! So cute! Um, your skirts are so swirly and dramatic and fabulous! F yeah you get compliments when you wear these!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. these skirts are both awesome! i'm dying to make a few myself, they always look so chic and put together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course the bright and swirly accessorised with baby steals the show, but I bet you wear the black one all the time! I've just made a navy midi length skirt - completely plain - and have barely taken it off because it goes with everything! I can't believe your daughter is one already. That feels like such a fast year!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I really like the quarter circle skirt! Am going to look for that tutorial. and baby girl is soooo adorable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful skirts! I'm on the short side, so I've never made a maxi because I'm worried it wont look good on me.. But these are so pretty I may have to change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to Baby Jane!! What a cutie. I love the skirt and matching leggings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love Love LOVE the quarter circle maxi. Those colors are simply gorgeous! And hello to your toddler!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow. A year? Really??!! Time is going by too fast Liza. Too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oohhhhh!! One year old?!?! Love the mama and babe matching that's going on here - you two look stunning! And these maxi skirts just seem like the perfect fast, comfy-yet-chic, sewing makes! I can't decide which I love more - the practical, goes-with-everything black version, or that FANTASTIC bright print (you look gorgeous in purple, btw)! Truly a toss up, because they are both winners!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My love of maxi skirts is immense, and yours are both FAB-U-LOUS!! I love the multi-coloured one, and missy in her matching legging is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely skirts. And hooray for matching mommy/girl clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Liza, where oh where did you find that striped jersey blouse in the 2nd skirt photo?? For me, my new style most seasons of the year is a circle maxi skirt or dress with a blouse or t-shirt! As an amateur seamstress, I'm also tackling 40's shirt dresses and day dresses to wear for more formal events as well as for church. Timeless, modest and feminine dontchya think? ;) Thanks!
    ~Amy in OR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amy!! The striped blouse is from banana republic. I bought it a couple of years ago but it is a favorite, for sure. There is nothing easier to wear than a maxi skirt with some swish, believe. And I'm a big fan of shirt dresses, too. Classic and definitely timeless!

      Delete